November 19, 2021
“Sometimes all it takes is one kind word to nourish another person. Think of the ripple effect that can be created when we nourish someone. One kind empathetic word has a wonderful way of turning into many.”
- November 24th, 12:00 Early Release
- November 25th, No School, Thanksgiving
- November 26th, No School, Thanksgiving Break
- December 2nd, Mass (Grades 3 & 4 only), 9:30
- December 3rd, End of First Trimester & Picture Retakes
- December 6th, Ugly Christmas sweaters can be worn with uniform bottoms
- December 8th, Immaculate Conception Mass 12:15
- December 13th, Christmas socks may be worn with uniform
- December 13th-14th, Christmas program rehearsal at the church during school hours, time TBD
- December 15th, Christmas Program
- December 17th, Reconciliation at church, Red & Green free dress, Christmas Party
- December 18th through January 2nd, Christmas Break
- January 3rd, School Resumes
- We are taking a homework and spelling test break until after Thanksgiving.
- Math Resources: For free math resources go to https://www.mathlearningcenter.org/curriculum/free. We use the Bridges math program from the Math Learning Center. On their website, you can use their free digital math apps to practice math as well.
- Gonzaga Prep & St. Aloysius Parish Food Drive: If you would like to donate non-perishable food items to the Gprep food drive, I would be happy to collect them for you. The food collected actually goes to families in our community when the students of Prep go out and stock their shelves. It also goes towards other organizations and food banks. You can donate until Monday, November 22nd. Thank you so much!
- PE Shoes: Now that the winter weather is coming, please make sure the kids have their tennis shoes with them to change into if they are wearing boots to school for PE. Our PE days are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Christmas Concert Class Colors: The students are being asked to wear their Sunday best and if they can wear it in their grade colors, that would be great. Thank you!
Highlights from our Week:
- Math: During Calendar Grid, the 3rd graders are continuing to study area. During their main lessons this week, they learned mental strategies for adding 3-digit numbers together, as well as rounding numbers to the tens and hundreds. During Calendar Grid, the 4th graders are continuing to study elapsed time. This week during their main Bridges lessons, they compared fractions and had fun building their fraction kits. Both grades did review lessons with our sub this week.
- Religion: We continued learning about Saints this week. We also packed our boxes for Operation Christmas child. Thank you for the many donations that will make so many children happy! I added photos of our packing to our website.
- Reading: We continued with our guided reading groups.
- Writing: During grammar, the kids began their unit on verbs with reading a fun book on verbs, as well as playing a fun game with their sub. They also enjoyed writing a Thanksgiving story on how to save their turkeys from being Thanksgiving dinner.
- Science: We began to wrap up our study of water and climate. This week we really took a look at climate and weather patterns. Next Tuesday, the kids will take a little quiz on this unit after reviewing Monday in class.