October 7, 2021
“Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words.”
-words of St. Francis of Assisi adapted by Father Lamanna
- Thursday, October 14th, 9:30, All School Mass (join us if you can)
- Monday, October 18th, Our class is leading Monday Morning Prayer at 8:45. Please feel free to join us in the Garco Gym that morning!
- Wednesday, October 20th, Picture Day
- Thursday, October 21st, 9:30, 3rd/4th Grades Class Mass
- Packet went home and is due next Friday, October 15th.
- I will look at all homework for effort and will correct it. Homework effort will be reflected on their report cards.
- Spelling: Test will be Friday, October 15th.
- Math Log: Your child needs to practice their math facts for at least 10 minutes four days each week. You choose the days. On my website, I have posted practice sheets for math facts. Please use them if you want to.
3rd Grade: Practice addition and subtraction. If these facts are mastered through 20, then your child may move onto multiplication.
4th Grade: Practice multiplication and division through 12s.
- Reading Log: Your child needs to read for at least 20 minutes for 4 days this week. More would be awesome and encouraged!
- Math Sheet: Both sides
- Virtus: We began our Virtus Personal Safety lessons this week. The Diocese requires each class to complete a Personal Safety training during the Fall. We will continue with these lessons throughout October. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- All Saints/All Souls Mass: Our class is leading this Mass on November 1st at 12:15 at the church. Please join us if you can. It will be a fuller Mass than usual because it is open to the whole parish.
Highlights from our Week:
- Math: Both grades reviewed for and took their math tests. They both also began their new Number Corner calendar grid for October. Third grade is learning about geometry in Number corner. Fourth grade is learning how to convert fractions to decimals during Number Corner.
- Religion: Our Monday Morning Prayer this week was led by Father Lamanna. He gave a wonderful reflection about St. Francis of Assisi. Please note the quote above is one he shared on Monday with the kids. We loved having the Blessing of the Animals on Thursday to honor St. Francis. On Tuesday morning, we heard a message from Bishop Daly over Zoom. During our daily Religion time, we continued to learn the parts of Mass.
- Reading: We met in our guided reading groups. We learned that we must back up and reread if what we read doesn’t make sense. We are learning that we have inner conversations as we read so we can understand. We also learned how to recognize if our meaning breaks down when we read.
- Writing: During Grammar, we began our unit on nouns. During Writing Workshop, we learned how to craft a strong lead paragraph in a narrative. We also continued to work in our Words Their Way groups.
- Science: We added to our pictorial GLAD chart for water in our Science journals.