May 6, 2019
*We had more MAP testing today and will test again in the morning. We have make-up tests scheduled for Thurs-Fri of this week.
*Our field trip to the Spokane House is this Wednesday, May 8th! We have been studying our Native Spokane history and are excited to see it come alive! Most of the children have turned in permission slips, however, I am still missing a few. If your child does not turn one in, he/she can’t go. Please let me know if you need a new one. On that day, please pack a disposable sack lunch for your child. Watch the weather because our fieldtrip will mostly be outside. You may want to put sunscreen on your child if it’s nice and send raingear if it’s not. We will go rain or shine. Also the children need to wear uniforms that day. There will be other schools at this field trip and I need a quick way to identify all of my students. I will need parent volunteers here before 9:00. They will need a sack lunch too. Thank you!
*Our 33rd annual Fund Run is coming up on May 31! This is a super fun community event and an important fundraiser for our school. Our first Fund Run assembly is next Friday, May 10th. Every Friday (starting May 10th) until Fund Run, your child can wear an old Fund Run t-shirt with uniform bottoms. Bri will be giving new students a Fund Run t-shirt they can wear. So no worries!
- Cursive: Please encourage your child to try their best with neat writing. (Due Monday)
- Math: Double-sided sheet (Due Monday)
- Math Log: Please continue to have your child practice math facts (especially multiplication facts) each night. It is so important for them to know their facts quickly. (Due Monday)
- Reading Log: Please read for 15 minutes each night. (Due Monday)
- Spelling Words: Test Friday
- May 6th-10th MAP testing
- May 8th, Field Trip to Spokane House
- May 9th, Chapel Mass
- May 10th, Fund Run Assembly (Uniform bottoms, Fund Run shirt)
- May 16th, Marian Mass, 10:15
- May 17th, Fund Run Assembly (Uniform bottoms, Fund Run shirt)
- May 24th, Fund Run Assembly (Uniform bottoms, Fund Run shirt)
- May 27th, Memorial Day, No School
- May 28th, Monday Morning Prayer
- May 30th, Fund Run t-shirt reveal assembly
- May 31st, Fund Run
- June 12th, Field Day and Talent Show
- June 13th, Last Day of School, Early Release after Mass
Math: We prepared for our Unit 5 math test we took on Wednesday of this week. We also worked on some telling time story problems and began a new Number Corner. We are working on area and multiplication again in Number Corner.
Language Arts: We continued working on cursive and using our comprehension strategies as we read. We also learned about verb tenses during grammar.
Religion: We learned all about the Rosary this week in preparation for the Living Rosary on Friday. We learned about each of the prayers as well as the mysteries we reflect on as we pray. We also learned the history behind the Rosary and why Catholics pray this prayer. Ask your child to tell you who the Rosary is a gift for.
Science: Our caterpillars have turned into chrysalides! We moved them to their new home in the butterfly house and are eager to see them change into butterflies. We also continued our learning of magnetism this week by researching experiments on magnetic force and writing our observations in our science journals.
Social Studies: We continued learning about our Native Spokane tribe and what happened to them as the white men came. We also combined our Native American schema with our grammar learning and created a sentence fluency chart with the parts of speech.
*Wyatt Mills (Pat Mills’ son) plays for pro baseball in the Mariner organization. He used to work at St. Al’s while going to GU. He evidently owed the kids in my class McDonald’s from a few years ago and decided to buy them sundaes this last Wednesday. It was a huge and very fun surprise for my kids!