“To be a servant of Christ is to be truly free.”
Message from Principal Angie Krauss:
I just returned from a Jesuit leadership conference where I had the privilege to meet with other principals to share best practices in academics and faith formation. The gift of Ignatian spirituality is a true inspiration and blessing to our community.
This month we have spring sports beginning and a busy time for the performing arts program with a Diocesan band concert and Seussical. We are also preparing for Stations of the Cross and readying our hearts to draw closer to Jesus during this Lenten Season. I hope you can join us for our All School Mass this Thursday beginning at 10:15 at St. Al’s Church. Also, please know we would love for you to join us anytime for Monday Morning Prayer which begins at 8:45am. Each week a different class leads us in a spiritual reflection. This week the MAC class shared their letters to Pope Francis.
Current families (ELC and K-8) will begin registration on March 19, and the registration packet will be due on March 28.
- We will begin Fair Share Conferences for K-8 families on March 19 and run them through March 30.
- The Nazareth Guild has a new process that families will use to apply for the tuition assistance tap grant awards. It is a program called FACTS. All families who would like to access financial assistance through the Fair Share Tuition program must complete an online application through FACTS and submit federal income tax documents. FACTS provides a confidential and secure method to collect and verify financial information. We will have an evening set aside on March 20 at 6:00pm to help any family that needs assistance with FACTS. Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year will be finalized at Parent Advisory council meeting on March 14. If you would like to begin your FACTS application sooner, please contact Dawn Manfred or myself for assistance. Once tuition is finalized, we will be sending out a link for families to access the FACTS application process.
- Open registration will begin on April 9 for our waitlist families so it is important to solidify your child’s spot by turning your registration packet in on time.
I hope you all have a blessed week and Go Zags!
In Christ’s Peace,
Be Like Christ Awards: Jack Martens, Grace Ortiz, Olivia McIntyre, Reegan Welch, Cian Dougherty and Jeven Helke
Teddy Bears: This week we will be coloring on different shades of green paper. We will also celebrate St Patrick’s Day and our “Color of the Month Day” on Friday by wearing green.
Chickadees: We will be studying St. Patrick’s Day by reading stories and making some fun art.
Owls: This week we will be focusing on St Patrick’s Day, Ireland, and Irish folktales. We will read stories and discuss St. Patrick’s Day traditions, shamrocks, leprechauns, and the color green.
Blue Jays: This week we will be talking about St. Patrick’s Day. We will be having green treats on Friday. Don’t forget to wear green!
Hawks: This week we will be learning about St. Patrick’s Day, making leprechauns, and painting with potatoes using purple paint.
Tigers: This week Tigers class will be learning letter “Pp” with a focus on planets, pizza, pets and St. Patrick’s Day! Please see the sign-up sheet in class for snacks needed!
Montessori East: Topic of discussion for the week will be Africa. Just a reminder that Montessori is closed on Friday, March 16, for parent teacher conferences. If you would like to have a conference, let me know and we will schedule a time. Child care will be available. There will be a sign up sheet outside our classroom.
Montessori West: Will be discussing Europe, the different countries and customs.
ALL-SCHOOL: Mark your Calendars:
Mar. 14: Parent Advisory Council Meeting
Mar. 15: Lenten All School Mass- 10:15 am at St. Al’s Church
Mar. 16: Parent/Teacher Conferences- No School/ELC Open
Mar. 20: New Kindergarten family registration meeting 5:30 pm
Mar. 20: FACTS information meeting @ 6:00 pm
Mar. 21: New Kindergarten family registration meeting 3:15 pm
Mar. 22: 5-8 Band Concert- 6:00pm @ Gonzaga Prep Gym
Mar. 22: K-8 Class Picture Day-Wear best Uniform
Mar. 22: Seussical Jr- 7:30 pm @ Gonzaga Prep’s Kubiak Theater- See info below
Mar. 23: ELC/Mont Class Picture Day
Mar. 24: Seussical Jr- 7:00 pm @ Gonzaga Prep’s Kubiak Theater- See info below
Mar. 30: Good Friday-Stations of the Cross
Apr. 2-6: Spring Break K-8
Apr. 26: Easter All School Mass
May 10: Living Rosary
May 11: Teacher in-service Day- No School/ELC Open
May 18: Marian Mass
May 28: Memorial Day/Holiday- No School/No ELC
Important Notes & Reminders:
St. Al’s School Performing Arts Club presents Seussical Jr: A fantastical musical extravaganza starring Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat and all of your favorite Dr. Seuss characters springing to life onstage! Performances are March 22 @ 7:30pm and March 24 @ 7:00pm in Gonzaga Prep’s Kubiak Theater. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for students (under 18). Click this link to buy tickets. https://goo.gl/Ye2eLP
Spokane Alumnae Club of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women: partnered with First Book to bring brand new, FREE books to children nationwide as part of its annual Fraternity Day of Service. St. Al’s was chosen as a recipient this year. Thank you so much Pi Beta Phi!
Blessings Under the Bridge: We have 3 spots available for Wednesday, March 21st and 10 spots available for Wednesday, April 25th. If you are interested in volunteering, please email Pat Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seussical DVD & Photos Order Form: Attached is the order form for DVDs and Cast photos. Please complete and submit this form to Mrs. Kelly by Friday, March 23. If you have any questions, please email Aleisha Webb at email@example.com.
- WE ARE SOOOOO CLOSE AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO Cross The Phase 2 Finish Line!!! We have raised $433,758 of our $600,000 goal! If you have not yet given to the campaign for our beautiful new building (or if you have already fulfilled your original pledge and want to bless our school community again), PLEASE GIVE TODAY at the link below and help us reach our $600,000 goal!
For more information, please contact Cami Carlson at 489-7825 x238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share your St. Al’s Story:
We are looking for parent testimonials to add to our web page. If you have a statement you would like to share about why you send your children to St. Al’s, please email it to email@example.com. Thank you!
Send Us Your Pictures:
Please share the pictures you take at sporting events or any fun St. Al’s moments that you capture. We will gladly share them on our social media!
Follow us on Instagram @ st.alsgonzaga Share your photos and St. Al’s stories with Anne Hesler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Facebook “St. Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic School Spokane”
Please “like” and “share” our stories on Facebook.
Please watch your email for a Volunteer Hour Notice. You will only receive an email if your family has completed less than 15 volunteer hours for the year. Just to clarify:
- ½ Day Kindergarten or ½ Day Montessori enrollment = 10 volunteer hours per family
- K All Day – 8th grade & Full time Montessori enrollment = 20 volunteer hours per family
Volunteer hours must be completed and submitted no later than Friday, June 8th.
There have been many questions regarding Labels for Education so I wanted to clarify. YES, the Labels for Education Program HAS ENDED, but the Box Tops program is still going strong!
Thank you to all the families that have participated this year. Box Tops are such an easy fundraiser for our school! The Box Tops program sends us a check twice a year, once in December and once in April.
Did you know Box Tops count for volunteer hours also? 50 Box Tops = 1 volunteer hour. Please record your volunteer hour(s) under the Box Tops category on your Volunteer Hour Summary and list your family name and the grade to credit on every bag or sheet turned in. I do not record hours for this so make sure you are keeping track.
Please check out the Box Tops website at www.btfe.com for coupons, bonus Box Tops, and information about the Box Tops app. Please contact Aleisha Webb at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
If you have not yet signed up for the Amazon Smile Program, now is a great time! Amazon is tripling the donation rate on your first smile.amazon.com purchase – through March 31! Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1433780 or smile.amazon.com every time you shop online, and Amazon will donate a percentage of your purchase to St. Al’s School.
- When have I most experienced God searching for and finding me this Lent?
- Let us walk in the world as Jesus did, and let us make our whole existence a sign of our love for others, especially the weakest and poorest.
- Lord, please bless our family members and friends who need your healing. Wrap your loving, healing arms around them and bless them with your healing touch.
- Lord, please bless our GU basketball coaches and players as they embrace March Madness. Keep them all safe and healthy, lead them and guide them on their journey.