March 5th, 2018
- Spring conferences are quickly approaching. These conferences are optional. I will contact a few families I would like to touch base with. If I don’t request a conference with you and you would like one, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would be happy to set one up.
- During Lent, we are focusing on Social Justice as a school. Our class will be working with our first grade buddies to collect personal hygiene items for Kira’s Kloset. We will then get together on Thursday, March 15th, to put together bags of hygiene items for the kids of Kira’s Kloset. If you are able to donate, we would appreciate it! The following are the items we are collecting:
Kids’ & Adult Toothpaste
Kids’ & Adult Toothbrushes
Thank you for your support! Items are due by March 15th.
- Attached to this homework packet is the information on our insect project which will be due Monday, March 26th.
- Please continue to collect Boxtops for Education. Thank you!
- Homework this Week:
- Math and Reading Logs
- Math Sheet
- Cursive Practice
- Spelling Words (Test Thursday)
- Friday, March 9th, No School, Teacher In-service Day
- Thursday, March 15th, last day to turn in toiletries for Kira’s Kloset
- Thursday, March 15th, Lenten Mass, 10:15
- Friday, March 16th, Conferences, No School
- Wednesday, March 21st, Walking Fieldtrip to Academy
- Thursday, March 22nd, Class Pictures
- Monday, March 26th, Insect posters due
- Friday, March 30th, Stations of the Cross, 10:15
- Sunday, April 1st, Easter
- April 2nd through 6th, Spring Break
Math: We have been working with number sense this week. We explored expanded form and place value of larger numbers through 1,000. We also continued are study of rounding numbers to tens and hundreds.
Writing: We began writing our opinion pieces about the friends we met at the Academy. This week we were able to start the writing process with a pre-write, first draft, and editing. The children were so excited to have a real topic to write about.
Religion: We continued to learn the Creed this week. We added hand motions to the first two sections. We also highlighted words we didn’t know in the second section. We took a few of those words and added them to our class cognitive dictionaries. We have also been praying with a Lenten reflection each day. We took a short quiz on the Trinity and Creed as well.
Social Studies: We began our Spokane/Native American unit! We were able to make observations about random historic pictures of the Spokane Tribe and the Age of Elegance. Once I revealed what they were looking at, they were so surprised to find that some of the buildings are still found in downtown today. We also looked at a big book about how Spokane was created, dating back to millions of years ago.
Science/Reading: We continued learning about other insects in our Expert Groups. We also created a mealworm poem using the parts of speech.