February 12th, 2018
- Tomorrow is Red and Pink free dress! The children will be exchanging Valentine’s tomorrow. Please send them by tomorrow if your child chooses to make them. This is optional.
- We are walking to the Academy during the afternoon on Friday the 23rd. We will be meeting with the residents and interviewing them for writing pieces. Look for the permission slip attached to next week’s homework packet.
- This week is only 3 days! The children are off this Thursday the 15th through Monday the 20th. We will be back on Tuesday the 20th.
- Please continue collecting your loose change for Generation Alive. We can help feed children for as little as 25 cents a meal. Our meal packing day is February 22nd. As soon as I know the date to turn in the money, I’ll let you know.
- The Silverwood reading forms went home. Continue reading and marking the log for those. Everything needs to be completed and turned into me by the date indicated on the form (March 2nd) to earn your ticket.
- Homework this Week: None J
- February 13th, Red and Pink Free Dress
- February 13th, 6:30-7:30, Math Night (Parents are invited to learn more about our new K-3 math program. This is a parent only event. RSVP to Pat Mills or myself.)
- February 14th, Ash Wednesday Mass, 12:15, Uniforms worn
- February 15-16, No School, Teacher Inservice Days
- February 19th, No School, Presidents Day
- February 22nd, Generation Alive Packing Day
- February 23rd, Academy field trip
Math: We practiced rounding numbers to the nearest 100. We also applied the rounding strategy to adding larger numbers and estimating their answers. During Number Corner, we worked with area and perimeter. We also have been learning about fractions of a dollar (i.e. a dime is 1/10 of a dollar).
Writing: We have been slowly going through a whole class process of writing an opinion piece on why our class loves pajama day. During this process, we have discussed strong paragraph writing, adding details, adding transition words, editing and revising. We are on paragraph two and will continue this process until we have all five paragraphs. Ask your child to tell you about it. It’s been a fun process! We also learned more cursive this week.
Religion: We began our week with the Blessing of the new gym. It was a memorable experience to have our Bishop here to bless it. We also read the first section of the Apostles’ Creed. We highlighted words we didn’t know on our big chart, as well as on our own Creed papers. We then discussed those words and this part of the Creed and began a Cognitive Dictionary of one of the words we didn’t know.
Science: We made more observations of our beetle habitat. On Friday, we went to the technology lab and researched mealworms. We organized our thoughts on a graphic organizer and will soon use that information to write a research essay.