January 29, 2018
- Happy Catholic Schools Week! I sent out an email and a paper copy of the week’s schedule last Friday. We have a fun week ahead! Let me know if you have questions.
- Please continue collecting your loose change for Generation Alive. We can help feed children for as little as 25 cents a meal. Our meal packing day is February 22nd. As soon as I know the date to turn in the money, I’ll let you know.
- The Silverwood reading forms went home this week. Continue reading and marking the log for those. Everything needs to be completed and turned into me by the date indicated on the form (March 2nd) to earn your ticket.
- Second quarter report cards will go home next Monday, February 5th.
- Homework this Week: None J In honor of Catholic School’s Week, I decided to not assign any homework. Enjoy your week and thank you for sending your children to our Catholic school! I enjoy teaching them every day!
- January 28th through February 2nd, Catholic School’s Week
- February 1st, Special Person’s Day Mass, 8:30-11:15 (Grandparents or special persons are invited that morning. They will start in the downstairs gym for a welcome at 8:30. Then they will go on a tour of the new building and come to classes at 9:30. We will go to Mass a little before 10:00. Mass starts at 10:15.)
- February 2nd, Auction, 5:30 in our new building (Aftercare closes at 5:00.)
- February 5th, Blessing of the New Gym during Monday Morning Prayer (Please come to this if you are able. It is a very exciting time for our school!)
- February 5th, Report cards for 2nd quarter go home
- February 8th, Pajama Day (The children won another free choice and of course they chose a second pajama day. J They can wear appropriate pajamas that day or comfy sweats.)
- February 13th, Valentine Party celebration, Red and Pink Free Dress
- February 13th, 6:30-7:30, Math Night (Parents are invited to learn more about our new K-3 math program. This is a parent only event.)
- February 14th, Ash Wednesday Mass, 12:15
- February 15-16, No School, Teacher Inservice Days
- February 19th, No School, Presidents Day
Math: We worked on solving story problems. We also did a few activities in which we explored rounding to the nearest 10. We continued to explore equivalent fractions and elapsed time during our number corner. We also loved going to the technology lab this week to work on Chromebooks with our first grade buddies! We enjoyed playing Prodigy math games with them and showing them how to use our computers.
Writing: We worked more on our cursive writing. We also began a new opinion piece on a special person to us. We are going to go through the writing process with those pieces this week by editing, revising, and publishing them.
Religion: We began learning about the Creed. We were able to compare the Nicene Creed and the Apostles’ Creed by highlighting what was the same in the two of them. Our class goal by the end of the year is to memorize the Apostles’ Creed.
Science: We now have lots of pupas in our habitat! We enjoyed observing them this week. We also learned about the body parts of our mealworms as well as their behaviors.
Reading: We continued with our non-fiction study. The children seem to be understanding why those features help us when we read. We also learned about possessive singular nouns this week.