November 20, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your family this holiday!
- The children have been preparing for Monday Morning Prayer on November 27th. Please have your children here on time that morning so we can get set up for prayer that day. We would love to have you join us if you can.
- Thank you for your donations to Operation Christmas Child. Those children will be so grateful!
- Please continue to save and send in Boxtops. They add up to be great money for our school.
- We got a sneak peak of the new gym this week as we walked by the open door on our way back from recess. The floor is in and is beautiful. The walls are also painted St. Al’s red. We got the good news that we get to start having p.e. in the new gym in February! We are very excited!
- We will still have lunch on Wednesday before we are out at noon for dismissal.
- Mrs. Krauss wants us to remind you to drop your children off in the morning in the yellow lines only. We want to keep children safe. Thank you!
- Our Christmas program is soon (December 13th). Mr. Barfield asked each third grader if they wanted a speaking part. Most wanted one but some opted out. Everyone who wanted one came home with their part last week to memorize. Please have them practice their lines at home. Everyone will sing three songs in the program. I have attached the songs to this newsletter for the children to practice at home.
- Homework this Week: We will not have homework due to the short school week.
- November 22nd, Early Release, 12:00
- November 23rd & 24th, Thanksgiving Break
- November 27th, 8:40-9:00, Monday Morning Prayer
- December 1st, Picture Retake Day
- December 8th, Immaculate Conception Mass, 12:15 at St. Al’s Church
- December 13th, K-8 Christmas Program
- December 14th, Advent Reconciliation, 10:15
- December 20-January 2nd, Christmas Break
- January 3rd, School Resumes
Math: We continued to explore multiplication using the loops and groups model as well as with number lines and unifix cubes. We also learned the vocabulary words factor and product.
Writing: We worked on the writing process as we revised, edited, and published our narratives. We loved sharing these with our first grade buddies! During grammar, we also learned about singular and plural nouns.
Religion: We learned more about the Old Testament and New Testament. We discussed joy and read passages of joy in the Bible. After we read the passages, we created posters that have words that inspire joy in others. We will share them at Monday Morning Prayer. At the end of the week we shared our Parts of the Mass books with our first grade buddies.
Science: We reviewed what a meteorologist does and what types of instruments they use. We also learned about evaporation and condensation during a fun experiment.
Reading: We explored literary elements by discussing how the character’s feelings and actions contribute to the sequence of events. We also learned that we become more accurate with our reading when we read a lot and reread favorite books. We began reading nonfiction during guided reading. The children were very excited about that!