October 30, 2017
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered at our booth on Hallowfest. I really appreciate your support! It was fun to see everyone at this community event!
- Last Friday, October 27th, was the last day to wear uniform shorts until Spring. Students must be in uniform pants or jumpers now.
- Tomorrow is our Halloween party at 2:00. Thank you so much for all of your donations! I am so grateful! If you can come and volunteer during the party, that would be great! Please arrive around 1:45 to help set up. The children can wear orange and black free dress to school with non-uniform pants tomorrow.
- Our sweet class is in charge of the All Saints/All Souls Mass at the church on Wednesday, November 1st at 12:15. We would love for you to join us if you can!
- Thank you so much for the post-it note donations!
- Homework this Week (packet due Friday):
- Math Facts Log (Your child should practice math facts each day for at least 10 minutes each night).
- Reading Log: (A good rule of thumb is to read 20 minutes a day. This can be done at night in bed if that works for your child. If your child is an emergent reader, he/she should read to you or another adult.)
- Math Problems (two-sided)
- Spelling: test on Friday
- October 31st, Halloween Party, 2:00-3:00
- November 1st, All Saints/All Souls Mass, 12:15 at the church (Third grade is planning this. We would love to have you join us!)
- November 8th & 9th, Conferences, No School
- November 10th, No School, Honoring Veteran’s Day
- November 22nd, Early Release, 12:00
- November 23rd & 24th, Thanksgiving Break
- November 27th, 8:40-9:00, Monday Morning Prayer (Third Grade is planning this. Join us if you can.)
Math: This week we took our Unit 1 math test. I will share these with you at conferences. We also began Unit 2 with multiplication concepts.
Writing: We wrote personal narratives from our memories. We also learned about commas and quotation marks in writing and practiced using them in our narratives. We reviewed subjects and predicates as well.
Religion: We continued learning about the parts of the Mass. We are making a Mass book that explains these parts. We also learned about All Saints Day and All Souls Day. We had our first Chapel Mass as well!
Science: We took advantage of the nice fall weather and learned about weather instruments outside. We learned about wind vanes, rain gauges, compasses, and thermometers. We also learned what a meteorologist does.
Social Studies: We began making our own continent maps. We labeled the maps with the equator, prime meridian, a compass rose, and a legend. Look for these on display soon.
Reading: We continued learning about fix-up strategies for when our meaning breaks down. We also did some whole group word work on whiteboards. We looked at a few spelling patterns during this time. Every day I continue to pull groups of readers for guided practice during our independent reading time.