October 16, 2017
We loved having our pajama day! We also earned ice cream for bringing the most Boxtops in September. What a great day!!
- Mrs. Krauss wanted us to remind you that if you are dropping off something for your child after that 8:30 bell, please leave it with Mrs. Kelly in the office. Thank you!
- Your children won a free dress pass for the Hygiene Drive. They can use them on days that are not Mass days and field trip days. Simply have your child bring the pass to school when they wear their free dress.
- My pajama day email was also my test to see if you received my emails. Thanks for typing “got it” back to me. If you didn’t get my email about pajama day, please let me know. Also try checking your spam or junk folder. Thanks!
- If you think of it, will you please save your paper towel rolls? We will need them for a project later this year. Feel free to send them in any time. Thanks!
- We also use a lot of post-it notes in class. If you are able to donate the regular yellow square post-its, we would appreciate them!
- Homework this Week (packet due Friday):
- Math Facts Log (Your child should practice math facts each day for at least 10 minutes each night).
- Reading Log: (A good rule of thumb is to read 20 minutes a day. This can be done at night in bed if that works for your child. If your child is an emergent reader, he/she should read to you or another adult.)
- Math Problems (two-sided)
- Spelling: Since it’s a short week, we will not have a test this week.
- October 20th, No School, Teacher Inservice
- October 26th, 3rd & 4th grade Chapel Mass
- October 27th, Hallowfest
- October 31st, Halloween Party (more info. to come)
- November 1st, All Saints/All Souls Mass, 12:15 at the church (Third grade is planning this. We would love to have you join us!)
Math: This week we explored addition strategies for double digit addition. We discovered so many more than we thought we knew. We also had a lot of story problem practice.
Writing: We revised some of our writing. We have been writing a lot during Writing Workshop but have been keeping our work in our folders so that we can go through the writing process.
Religion: We learned about Personal Safety during Religion this week.
Science: We did an experiment with thermometers. We learned about degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit. We also did an experiment with sinking and floating. We learned about density with this experiment.
Social Studies: We continued to explore maps.
Reading: We began learning about fix-up strategies for when our meaning breaks down. We are learning that we need to make sense of our reading. We also learned about subjects and predicates during grammar. We are now using our student I-pads to listen to books during reading workshop. The kids are very excited about this!