December 4, 2017
I wish you all a Blessed season of Advent.
- Please continue to save and send in Boxtops. They add up to be great money for our school.
- Please continue to have your child practice the songs and acting parts (if they have them) for our Christmas program.
- The Christmas program is at 6:30 p.m. Please have your child meet me in the pew at 6:15. If you’re there earlier than that, please keep your child with you. Have your child wear Sunday best. There will be a cookie reception at the school following the program.
- Homework this Week:
- Spelling Words (Test Friday)
- Reading Log
- Math Log
- Math Sheet (Two-Sided)
- December 8th, Immaculate Conception Mass, 12:15 at St. Al’s Church
- December 13th, K-8 Christmas Program, 6:30 p.m. (Please have your children there by 6:15)
- December 14th, Advent Reconciliation, 10:15
- December 20-January 2nd, Christmas Break
- January 3rd, School Resumes
Math: We solved a lot of multiplication problems this week using arrays and number lines. We enjoyed learning two games: Frog Jump Multiplication and Array Race.
Writing: We began a new unit on opinion writing. We learned how to organize our writing using the “Four Square” method. We then took that organizer and wrote simple four paragraph essays. We enjoyed writing our opinions on whether or not we should wear uniforms to school. J We also did some word work on “ed” endings as well as changing the “y” to “i” and adding “es.”
Religion: We began to learn about the Jesse Tree as we prepare for Advent. We created our own Jesse Trees to hang in the hall. During Advent, we will read a Biblical story each day about the people who prepared the way for Jesus. We will make ornaments to hang on our class Jesse Tree to remind us of those people.
Science: We learned about evaporation and did a week long evaporation experiment with evaporation locations in our classroom. We collected data all week to see if the water would evaporate in different spots. We also learned about climate by watching and discussing a video.
Reading: We began to study non-fiction features of texts. These are the parts of a non-fiction book that help us to either locate information or to better understand the information. We are creating our own non-fiction features books to help us understand.