I am so excited when Advent begins and the birth of Christ awaits us! His birth represents hope in a broken and imperfect world. We will be talking about how God works best through our weaknesses and that the best Christmas can be the one that isn’t perfect! Please know you are always invited to join us for Monday Morning prayer beginning at 8:40 AM in the gym.
I have two important items to highlight this week:
1) The Christmas program is less than two weeks away and our students and staff are working hard to present a wonderful play entitled “Glorious Night.” This original play (written by our very own Mr. Barfield) will be accompanied by beautiful music featuring our band and student singers.
* Please remember to have your child arrive no later than 6:15pm and that you will need to supervise them until they are dismissed to their teacher.
* We are so grateful that we are able to use the church for our Christmas program so please be mindful that we all must remember to be respectful in this sacred space of worship.
* We will have a cookie reception back at the school cafeteria immediately following the program. If you would like to bake cookies or help out with set-up/serving at this event please contact Aleisha Webb, our Volunteer Coordinator.
* Students will need to wear their Sunday best unless they have a part in the play that requires specific attire.
2) We are pleased to have the possibility of offering an after-school Spanish program for our children here at St. Al’s from January-March 2017. We would love to hear from you if you are interested in enrolling your child in this program. Please complete the short survey below by December 9th.
* The Spanish class will be held at St. Aloysius from 3:15-4:15 one day/week (most likely on Tuesday). The cost would be $25/month or $60 for the full three month program. Scholarships based on financial need will be available.
As I reflect on all the holiday season offers us, I am amazed at how I see Christ at work all around us. I encourage you this week to look for him in all you do.
This morning, we recognized the following students at Monday Morning prayer for their Acts of Mercy: Chris Croft, Kevin Silver and Lily Olson.
Week of Dec. 5 – 9:
This week, we will read “The Story of Christmas”. The children will have the opportunity to reenact the story in our block area. Also, we are going to begin working on our special Christmas presents for our parents.
This week we will be learning about snow animals and what animals do in the winter time. We are looking forward to our Christmas program!
This week in preschool we will begin telling the story of the first Christmas. We will begin at the beginning when the angels visited Mary telling her she would be the mother of Jesus. We will read stories from the Bible and discuss how God sent Angels to spread the news of Jesus’ birth.
This week we will start our Christmas celebration! Our Thanksgiving house will transform into a Christmas house, complete with a fireplace and tree decorated by the children. We will have the opportunity to work on holiday art and begin a gift for our family!
We will be continuing our study of Advent this week as well as making Advent wreaths and Christmas art. We are looking forward to our Christmas program and hope to see you all there!
Tigers will continue learning about the letter “Ss” this week! They are bringing in five things that start with the letter “Ss” from home and sharing the items with the class next Friday. We are looking forward to our Christmas program and very excited!
Jen Zemke, ELC Registrar
ALL-SCHOOL: Mark your Calendars
Dec 6: ELC/Mont Christmas Program- 5:30pm at St. Aloysius School
Dec 8: Immaculate Conception All School Mass- 12pm at St. Al’s Church
Dec 9: Teacher Luncheon
Dec 14: K-8th Christmas Program- 6:30 PM at St. Aloysius Church
K-8th Christmas Program DRESS REHEARSAL – 10:00 AM
Dec 15: Advent Reconciliation
Dec 19-31: Christmas Break- No School
ELC Open Dec 19th-23rd
ELC Closed Dec 26th-Jan 2nd
Jan 2: Christmas Break/Holiday-School and ELC Closed
Jan 3: School/ELC Resumes
Important Notes & Reminders:
Missing items: We have some students with missing jackets that are not in lost and found. Please be mindful to check the labels to make sure it is your childs. Any items left in lost and found will be donated the week after Thanksgiving break. Thank you!
Blessings Under the Bridge: If you would like to volunteer, please contact Mrs. Mills at email@example.com .
Uniform policy: Time to switch to winter uniforms! Students are no longer allowed to wear shorts or capris until Spring.
Parking Lot Procedures: Please be mindful of our parking lot procedures. Do not park in the fire lane. Remain in vehicle if you are in the student drop off zone.
Please do not park in designated staff parking lot. (Staff hours are between 6am
Building the Future (Advancing our Mission):
Capital Campaign: We are still focusing on our major gift efforts. Please let us know if you know someone who may be interested in making a significant financial gift to our building project. Email Cami Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>. Over the holidays, please give prayerful consideration to making a donation to our capital campaign. We will be making a specific request for support to our awesome school families after the new year.
Annual Report: Our 2015-16 Annual Report was mailed over the weekend. Enjoy this informative and fun publication! Don’t forget to share the love and let us know how much you love St. Al’s! Please let us know if you did not receive one. firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>
Follow us on Instagram @ st.alsgonzaga. Share your photos with Anne Hesler at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>.
Auction: We are happy to announce that we have received our first BUILD sponsor for the auction. Thank you Garco Construction for your sponsorship! We can’t wait to see who our next sponsor will be!!!!
Families who get their donations turned in by December 13th, will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a $200 tuition credit and free dress passes to be used on December 15th and 16th. Thank you for your support. If you have any questions, please contact Anne Hesler at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>.
Volunteer Hours: Please watch for your Volunteer Hour Summary to be coming home with your youngest child today. If you have any questions, please email Aleisha Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>.
* If you are recording hours in the “miscellaneous” or “other” category, please remember to give a brief description at the bottom of the page. If no description is provided,the sheet will be returned to you.
* When recording hours, make sure to check that you are using the correct column (month and category).
Box Tops and Labels for Education:
* Please remember to include your family name and grade when turning in either sheets or baggies of Box Tops or Labels for Education. When recording them for volunteer hours, 50= 1 volunteer hour. You are responsible for recording your own hours on the Volunteer Hour Summary. We do not record hours for your family.
* Exciting news! We will be expanding our school fundraising programs soon. If you are interested in helping out, please contact Aleisha Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information to come next week!
Baking for Volunteer Hours
* The next luncheon opportunity will be this Friday, December 9, to honor Father Case. If you are interested in contributing food items, please email Aleisha Webb at email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>. I am also looking for volunteers to help set-up, serve, and clean up. Time frame will be 10:00am-2:00pm. Please let me know if you are available the whole time or partial. Here is a list of items we will need:
* 2 loaves of wheat bread
* 2 loaves of white bread
* 2 loaves of gluten free bread
* 2 loaves of sourdough bread
* Cheese (sliced):
* 2 lbs. Swiss
* 2 lbs. Pepper Jack
* 2 lbs. Sharp Cheddar
* 2 lbs. Colby
* Deli Meat:
* 3 lbs. Roast beef
* 3 lbs. Turkey
* 3 lbs. Ham
* 4 Crockpots of soup
* Tub of butter
* 2 cases of flavored sparkling water
* 3 desserts
Christmas Program: Glorious Night
We are looking for items needed for the Christmas Program play, Glorious Night. We have a list below of needed items. If you are able to donate any of the items, please email Aleisha Webb at email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>. This will count as volunteer hours! All items do not have to be brand new!
3 fake eyeglasses (3 = ½ hour)
3 fedora-style hats (3 = 1 hour)
3 stenographer-style notepads (3= ½ hour)
3 green gambler visors (3 = ½ hour)
15 new, white dish towels (10 towels = 1 hour)
3 plastic soldier helmets (3 = ½ hour)
3 plastic swords/spears (3= 1 hour)
4 brown wooden canes (with crooks) (2 canes = 1 hour)
broom (for Mary)
pillow (for Joseph)
tape measure (for Narrators)
3 empty gift-wrapped boxes (for wise men)
one pair of binoculars (for Angel)
*Please record these hours under K-8 Christmas Program and make a note at the bottom of the page which item(s) you donated. Thank you!
* Please pray for the homeless in our community. May they find comfort and services they need during difficult times.
* Please pray for peace during this Advent season.