I cannot believe that Halloween is only two weeks away! We are excited to host our annual Hallowfest on Friday, October 28, beginning at 5:00 PM. This is a great way to earn your volunteer hours and support our school community. Please know how much your gifts of time and service mean to our staff.
I also want to update you on our capital campaign. We are excited to announce that after recent discussions between school and parish administrators and Garco Construction, we have made some organizational and project revisions that will help make our new building a reality in 2017! First, we brought Sandi Druffel on board as our campaign manager. Sandi brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to St. Al’s that has already proven to be beneficial for the campaign and all involved. Next, we divided our overall project into three phases:
- Phase 1 – Property Expansion & Current Facility Improvements
- Phase 2 – New Construction
- Phase 3 – Future Addition
We are thrilled to say that we have completed Phase 1 – Property Expansion & Current Facility Improvements! During Phase 1, we purchased an adjacent piece of property, sold and relocated the home on that property, expanded our playfield and installed fencing, painted the interior of our current school building, updated all school and ELC office areas, and remodeled our primary and junior high student bathrooms.
Phase 2 is now in full swing. The first floor of our new multi-purpose facility will include a secure entryway, an event center with a double court gymnasium, new infant and additional toddler care classrooms, and a kitchen. In the future, Phase 3 will include completion of the second floor Performing Arts and Visual Arts classrooms, a STEM lab/classroom, and an elevator.
These modifications to our Building the Future campaign have allowed us to set a groundbreaking date of April 1, 2017! We are currently working to solidify additional major gifts, and we will soon be reaching out to our greater St. Al’s community for support. Earlier this month, a city hearing was held to allow public comment on our expansion. We are pleased to report there was unanimous backing for our project. The new construction should be complete by August 1, 2018.
As you can see, we have accomplished a tremendous amount, and we are excited about our progress. Early in November, you will receive a publication that includes details about our campaign and how you can help build the future of St. Al’s for the next 100 years. It is exhilarating to partner with our school families and friends to continue our tradition of excellence and build this legacy together!
This morning, we recognized the following students at Monday Morning prayer for their Acts of Mercy: Shanaya Byrd, Ben Tafoya and Cadence Paluch.
Thanks for helping us bring out the best in your children and highlight their gifts.
- ELC will be closed Friday Oct. 21st for Professional Development training for ELC staff.
- Kindergarten Aftercare families please continue to turn in permission slips for filming. This is to help with the Schools Out Washington grant.
Toddler Room Teddy Bears:
For the next two weeks, there will be a pumpkin patch on the toddler playground! Also, on Thursday, have your children wear orange clothing to school to celebrate our color of the month!
Early Preschool Chickadees:
Next week we will continue learning about harvest. We will have our very own pumpkin patch on our playground outside!
This week we will be discovering pumpkins. We will discuss how they grow, what can be made from them, and sing pumpkin songs. We also will be comparing apples and pumpkins to see if there are any similarities or differences.
PK 1 – Hawks
In the Hawks class our focus will be on the letter O. A few of our activities will include making orange zest playdough and finger painting with orange paint. Our science theme of light and color continues.
PK 2 – Bumblebees
We are learning about personal safety. We are working on fall art, letters, and shapes. Our letter focus is on the letter P.
PK 3 – Tigers
We are learning about the letter L and Nursery Rhymes. Tigers will be making a Fall craft with outside leaves!
Jen Zemke, ELC Registrar
ALL-SCHOOL: Mark your Calendars
Oct 21st: K-8/ELC Teacher In-Service Day- School Closed/ELC Closed
Oct 28th: Hallowfest-5-8 PM
Nov 1st: All Saints/All Souls all school Mass- 10:00 AM at St. Al’s Church
Nov 2nd: Picture Retake Day
Nov 9th-10th: Parent/Teacher Conferences-No School/ELC Open
Nov 11th: Veterans Holiday-No School/No ELC
Nov 23rd: Thanksgiving Early Dismissal-12pm/ ELC Open
Nov 24th-25th: Thanksgiving Break-ELC Closed
Dec 1st: Advent all school Mass-10:00 AM at St. Al’s Church
Important Notes & Reminders:
- Poinsettia Sale: Our 8th graders are holding a poinsettia sale to help pay for their 8th grade trip. They are selling 3 different sizes. If you are interested, please pick up an order form at the office. All orders with payment are due by Thursday, October 27th.
- Hallowfest Candy: Each family is asked to donate 2 bags of small wrapped candy or individually packaged healthy treats that we use as prizes at Hallowfest. You can drop them off with Mrs. Kelly at the front desk at any time. Thank you!
- Blessings Under the Bridge: If you would like to volunteer, please contact Mrs. Mills at email@example.com .
- Lost and Found: Our lost and found is full of student sweatshirts and jackets. Please look through it if your child is missing any clothing items.
Building the Future (Advancing our Mission):
- Capital Campaign: Please refer to Mrs. Krauss’ letter above for exciting info. J
- Follow us on Instagram @ st.alsgonzaga. Share your photos with Anne Hesler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Hour Opportunities:
- Volunteer Hour Summary: Watch for your Volunteer Hour Summary to be coming home today. Please look it over and make sure these points are correct:
- Family name: Is it spelled correctly? Does the name need changed or modified?
- Grade of youngest child: Your summary will be sent home with this child.
- Number of hours recorded: Is it correct? Is it recorded in the correct category?
Please make any needed changes on the summary sheet and return it by the end of the month. If your family is in need of more than one Volunteer Hour Summary, please email me. email@example.com
- VIRTUS: If you have not renewed yet for the 2016-17 school year, YOU ARE DUE FOR RENEWAL. In order to stay active, please login to your VIRTUS profile and complete the “2016 Annual Online Update.” You are only required to attend the in-person VIRTUS training class once. If you did so this school year, you are up to date. If you attended the class before this school year, you must renew your VIRTUS certification on-line in order to volunteer around children in any capacity at St. Al’s. Thank you so much for your cooperation and all of your hard work! Please let either Meg Martens or myself know if you have any questions. We have only one more in-person training class scheduled for 2016! If you have yet to attend, please sign up for the class on October 20 by emailing Meg Martens at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Box Tops and Labels for Education: Please remember to include your family name and grade when turning in either sheets or baggies of Box Tops or Labels for Education. When recording them for volunteer hours, 50 = 1 volunteer hour. You are responsible for your recording your own hours on the Volunteer Hour Summary. We do not record hours for your family.
- Remember to download the Box Tops app for exclusive deals on bonus Box Tops products! http://www.boxtops4education.com/bonusapp.
- Keep up the good work turning in your Box Tops! We are getting closer to the next submission deadline – November 1. Please check the dates of your Box Tops and make sure they are not expired! Thank you!
- Volunteer Opportunity: I am looking for someone who would be interested in contacting the soup kitchens in our area to collect Box Tops and Soup labels. This would be an all year volunteer position. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email Aleisha Webb at email@example.com.
- Baking for volunteer hours: The next baking for volunteer hours opportunity is this Friday, October 21. We will have a teacher in-service luncheon. For this lunch we will need:
- Crockpot(s) of soup
- Green Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Bottled water
If you are interested in donating food items for this event, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HALLOWFEST: We are only 11 days away from Hallowfest! Please join us for a fun filled family night on Friday, October 28, 5-8 PM. Please see attached documents for information on:
- Donating books
- Donating cookies/cupcakes
- Ordering Hallowfest tickets
- Booth sponsorships
- NEW! Hallowfest Committee: Because Hallowfest has so many fun activities that take place throughout the school, we are forming a Hallowfest Committee to make sure that the event is a success. As a committee member, you will supervise a specific activity/area to ensure that:
- it runs smoothly
- it is stocked with any needed supplies
- volunteer shifts are covered
- your space is cleaned up afterwards
Please email me if you are interested in volunteering in this capacity. email@example.com
- Booth Sign-Up Sheets: Hallowfest booth sign-up sheets are now posted outside each classroom. Please sign up to volunteer ASAP in order to get the shifts you want! J
- Volunteers needed!: I am in need of 2 volunteers to help count tickets and stuff ticket envelopes. This can be a take home project. I am also in need of a volunteer at school to help fill pre-sale ticket orders on Oct. 24th. Please email Aleisha Webb if you interested in volunteering! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candy prizes: Each family is asked to donate 2 bags of small wrapped candy or individually packaged healthy treats that we use as prizes at Hallowfest. You can drop them off with Mrs. Kelly at the front desk at any time. Thank you!
- Be a BOOTH SPONSOR! There are two levels of sponsorship available. Businesses or individuals/families can sponsor the Glow Booth or the Haunted House for $100, any of the game booths for $50, or you can sponsor the Photo Booth for $50! We will post a “Booth sponsored by” sign recognizing your generosity.
- Halloween decorations: Mrs. Padon and the 7th grade class are looking for Halloween decoration donations that can be used in the haunted house. Please email Aleisha Webb if you have any questions!
- Please pray for those dealing with cancer. May God’s healing grace bless them.
- Please pray for the homeless in our community. May they find comfort and services they need during difficult times.
- Please pray for all couples who would like to have children. May God bless them with His gift of life.
- Poinsettia order form
- Cake walk donor form
- Hallowfest Intro Flyer
- Booth Sponsorship form
- Ticket order form
- Book Walk Donor form
St. Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic School